Volunteers of America of Indiana has a number of programs where individuals and groups can serve. We may have open volunteer and internship opportunities in Evansville, Fort Wayne, Gary, Indianapolis, and Terre Haute.
When Volunteers of America was founded in 1896, to “volunteer” one’s time in service to others was a full-time commitment. Our founders came to call themselves "Volunteers of America" because they volunteered their whole lives to help people in need. This included - not only volunteering their time - but also their hearts, their spirits and their professional careers.
560 of volunteers served in Indiana with almost 9,000 hours of service in 2013 – and we can always use more volunteers!
- Prospective undergraduate interns and non-clinical graduate interns are encouraged to email their cover letter and resume to Sara Pugh, Coordinator of Volunteer Services, at email@example.com.
- Graduate clinical interns are primarily selected by our Healing Families and Behavioral Health staff in coordination with local universities, namely IUPUI and University of Indianapolis.
- Please note that all interns must start the process to become an intern a month or more before their desired start date.
- All interns and on-going volunteers must submit to a fingerprint background check prior to starting their service.
- We are certified by Service Enterprise.
Ways to Get Involved
Become a Mentor
Volunteers of America of Indiana provides volunteer mentors to parents and individuals who are transitioning out of the criminal justice system. We have individual and group mentor opportunities in Indianapolis and the surrounding area.
Teens: Join an Action Team
Volunteers of America and the Major League Baseball Players Trust have teamed up to encourage high school students to get involved. Youth volunteers, along with Major League baseball players, have formed Action Teams to deliver an important message—volunteering is fun and personally rewarding!
- For Volunteer and Internship Opportunity Inquiries Contact Sara Pugh, Coordinator of Volunteer Services
- Phone: 317-224-2616
- Fax: 317-686-5810